A permit is required when travelling on roads through Aboriginal land such as the Great Central Road, Tjukaruru Road and most of the roads-tracks leading off the Outback Way between Laverton and Yulara. Travellers driving along these sections can apply for a transit permit from the Central Land Council (NT), Department of Indigenous Affairs (WA) or the Ngaanyatjarra Council (NT). Special permission is required to travel off the Outback Way to places of particular interest and travellers can apply to the Ngaanyatjarra Council (NT), allowing 24-72 hrs .

Permits give you 3 days to travel  from Yulara to  Docker River and 3 days from WA Border to Laverton- this is heaps of time.

The OHDC Inc  can use the data to indicate how many people are using the road- this is helpful for maintenacne and seeking funds for  upgrading.

Contact details for WA Permits – 1300651077 Perth 08 65518024- direct line

NT Permit– Yulara to NT/WA Border- for print/ scan/ fax/email
CLC Online

WA Pemit–  for Great Central  Rd-  if you want to print/ scan/ fax/email
WA Permit Form

WA Permit for Communities/ Off Great Central Road- Ngaanyatjarra Land Council permit pack
WA Ngaanyatjarra Lands Community Permit


WA ONLINE Permits    (Permit is emailed within 24 hrs)

NT INQUIRIES- Contact details for CLC PermitsTel 08 8951 6211 Fax 08 8953 4343   Email:   NT ONLINE PERMIT: (Permit is emailed within 24 hrs)