Heritage & Culture
Culture & Heritage
Immerse yourself in the wondrous Cultural and Heritage experiences along the Outback Way- the places are steeped in both aboriginal and pastoral history- from cultural awareness tours and stories of the explorers, pioneers and pastoral history.
Winton- from April 2018- the new state of the art Waltzing Matilda Centre will reopen and showcase the iconic Story of Banjo Patterson and the history of Western Qld is captured.
Boulia– the Stone House captures the life of yester year- with the early cottage containing decorated and furnished in the pioneering days. When Boulia resident James Edwards Jones built his home in 1888, little did he know that it would become one of Western Queensland’s major attractions.
The building was constructed as a family dwelling and now boasts being home to an array of history surrounding the Jones family and early settlement life in Boulia.
Situated on the corner of Pituri and Hamilton Streets, the Stonehouse has been listed by the National Trust as a building of great interest, as it was one of the first homes built in Western Queensland and because of its unique design which keeps out the harsh summer heat.
Gem Tree– Book in for a Camp oven Dinner and hear the Chalmer’s Family -Pioneering story is inspiring and captures the spirit of the early pioneers settling and opening up the desert. A highlight of your trip to Gemtree will be your evenings of dining and entertainment in the bush setting by the billabong. Between April to October – Dinners are a set menu of affordable outback dining each evening, with Wednesday night and Saturday night country roast dinners being a favourite-bookings essential 08 89569855 email@example.com www.gemtree.com.au
Alice Springs: Various Tours are available.
- RT Tours Australia – www.rttoursaustralia.com.au – My name is Bob (Penunka) Taylor and I have created a touring business incorporating education, gourmet food and Aboriginal culture. Bob’s – Mbantua Sunset and Starlight Bush Dinner- is apparently excellent!! http://rttoursaustralia.com.au/3-mbantua-dinner-tour.html
- Rainbow Valley Tours – www.rainbowvalleyculturaltours.com – Ricky Orr (Ngala) is the owner operator of Wurre (Rainbow Valley). Wurre is a spectacular place located 90 kilometres south of Alice Springs. “Visit spectactular Rainbow Valley (Wurre) Experience Rock Art sites that can only be seen on this Tour. Aboriginal Culture, Ancient Rock Art Paintings, Rock Carvings (Petroglyphs) ~ Bush Foods & Medicine ~ Artifacts, Weapons, Stone Tools & Dreamtime Stories.
Red Centre Way-
- Hermannsburg Historical Precinct – www.hermannsburg.com.au – The Hermannsburg Historical precinct & the Kata Anga Tea Rooms. This is the site of the 1877 Lutheran (German) mission- enjoy scones & cream.
- Wallace Rock Hole Tourism Park – www.wallacerockholetours.com.au
- Karrke Cultural Experience: take a detour off the Outback Way- stay at Kings Creek Station and head over the road to Karrke (named from the Western Bowerbird )– is owned and operated by Christine Breaden and Peter Abbott who live in a small aboriginal community inside the Kings Canyon/Watarrka National Park. Christine & Peter highlight the aspects of traditional living- showing us how flour was made, the approach behind dot paintings, cooking and tasting bush foods, wood carving and which weapons for what hunting.. A truly awesome experience. http://www.karrke.com.au
Yulara Resort- whether you are staying under millions of stars or 5 stars… you can enjoy the various cultural experiences in the Town Square-
- Join Local Anangu artists and create your own dot painting in 1.5hrs Morning and Afternoon workshops- www.maruku.com.au 0499829635
- Bush Tucker Journeys- Daily Bush Food workshops- talk with your reception.
- Mani-Mani Indigenous Cultural Theatre at the Arkani Theatre- Cultural Theatre performances – book at your Hotel reception. Wednesday to Sundays..11am and 2pm .
Explorers Hall of Fame- the Great Beyond Centre – showcases the courage and tenacity of famous early explorers Carnegie, Forrest , Hann, had traversing the desert with the help local aboriginals. Laverton’s diverse heritage is worth immersing yourself in and find out about Dr Charles Laver -a doctor and a prospector – the energy that created Laverton! Laurinda Hill – 08 9031136
The recently opened – old jail and police station takes you back to a time when it was quite basic.